My name is Kevin Philipupillai. I’m a freelance journalist and audio producer living in Toronto. My work has appeared on the radio for the CBC and in print for This Magazine and for Professionally Speaking (published by the Ontario College of Teachers).
Ontario’s Last Segregated School. A feature article for the Ontario College of Teachers magazine Professionally Speaking. Published in the March 2014 issue. Available here.
To Serve. A 25-minute radio documentary for The Current on CBC radio. About racial segregation in Dresden, Ontario during the 1950s. First broadcast April 2nd, 2013. Available here.
A Son’s Journey. A six-minute segment for Tapestry on CBC radio. About a Hindu priest releasing his father’s ashes into Lake Ontario. First broadcast September 9th, 2012 as part of the “Ashes” show. Available here.
Retired Fire. A 10-minute radio documentary profile of Nova Scotia civil rights leader Burnley “Rocky” Jones. Done as part of my journalism degree at King’s College. Completed in March 2012. Available here.
Why the Tories’ $100-a-month Child-Care Plan Isn’t Enough. A short feature for This Magazine about publicly funded childcare. Published February 2011. Available here. Part of an editorial package which was nominated for a 2011 National Magazine Award.
Bystanders. Beneficiaries. Accomplices? Pulling Back the Grey Veil of Moral Distance. A feature for The Strand newspaper. Published March 2010. Winner of the 2010 Arthur Irwin Prize for the best writing in a Victoria College campus publication. Available here.
- Bachelor of Journalism from the University of King’s College in Halifax (2012)
- Honours Bachelor of Arts in philosophy and religion from the University of Toronto (2010)
Jobs in journalism:
- Since October 2012: Freelance writer and radio producer
- Apr – May 2012: Intern at Tapestry on CBC Radio One
- Jan – Feb 2012: Daily reporter for The Radio Room on CKDU 88.1FM (campus radio station in Halifax)
- Sept – Dec 2010: Editorial intern at This Magazine (fact-checker, writer, copy editor)
- Sept 2009 – May 2010: Staff writer for The Strand (Victoria College student newspaper)
- Audio editing: Adobe Audition, Pro Tools, Dalet, Hindenburg Journalist
- Blogging: WordPress